Marketing is funny at Mozilla. Whenever, I’m asked what do I do, I’ll very often say “marketing” — and that always feels strange when it tumbles out of my mouth. The next question is usually “… so what is marketing at Mozilla then?” … and further questions about “If you do all that, how big is the team?”
Let me try to answer…
What is marketing at Mozilla?
Well, this would be a very long answer if I went into even half the detail. But let me say in short – our job is all about…
– Sharing and advocating for a more open and better Web
– Spreading Firefox, and having people enjoy a modern browsing experience
– Help build and work together with Mozilla communities, and other open source communities to make great software
and we do this in so many ways which are not typical to marketing. We …
- Work together in the open to craft, build and run campaigns
– Empower and encourage communities to hold their own events and campaigns
– Share results in public, and talk about both our achievements and findings to take on board in future
- and much, much more…
How big is the Team in Europe?
In Europe there are 4 people including myself who help do the above. But actually, our team is much bigger than this. In each country there are scores of Firefox and Mozilla fans, and community members who each day advocate and share the importance of the open Web. Our wider team reaches in the hundreds, and that’s the way we like it! Anyone can join, and anyone can get involved regardless of skill. The only requirement is a passion for open source and a desire to make the Web better.
** New Open Community Marketing position **
So if you got this far in my post — I’d say you are interested in marketing and community at Mozilla. And we are very lucky to have an open full time job opportunity available for a European Community Marketing Manager. The position is based in Paris. Here’s a quick round up of the job spec:
European Community Marketing Manager
Primary responsibilities include development of new programs to engage community and activism, as well as promote Firefox mindshare throughout Europe. Defining and implementing regional community campaigns and activities, market research, and day-to-day efforts in order to support community marketing, growth and effectiveness.
The ideal candidate will be highly organized and self-motivated, a strong communicator with experience managing marketing programs and campaigns.
** Primary Responsibilities:
* Lead, develop and implement new community grassroots initiatives and marketing campaigns
* Support and initiate activities for Mozilla Campus reps program in Europe
* Contribute to overall community marketing programs with “real-world” components (eg. Meetups, Campus events, launch parties, etc)
* Conduct and assist with regular community surveys
* Review, share, participate and provide information on Spreadfirefox, forums, marketing mailing lists, IRC and blogs
* Communicate across a diverse community of project contributors and volunteers
* Assist with other marketing related activities and where needed, participate at key trade shows and events
* Provide support for Mozilla Mission-focused community initiatives
So, if you want to be a part of this amazing movement. Read more about the job and apply here.
** Photo courtesy of homardpayette on Saturday February 7th 2009 at FOSDEM ’09